Oriana Publications

About Us

Terms & Conditions | View Basket / Checkout
Chorus | Chorus+Orchestra | Large Ensemble | Opera | Orchestra | Solo+Orchestra | Wind Band
Brass | Chamber | Choral | Christmas | Education | Historical Editions | Orchestral | Opera | Organ | Piano | Strings | Vocal | Wind | WMG Anthology |

"......and the world is transfigured in music"small logo

Taliesin and the Spring of Vision - Vernon Watkins

Founded in 1996, Oriana Publications aims to promote the music of Welsh composers and to provide quality publications at realistic prices.

Our catalogue now contains over 300 titles and includes some of the most significant composers in Welsh music. In addition, Oriana also publishes music by composers from the United Kingdom, Europe and the USA as well as performing editions of the music of past generations.

We are also proud to publish, in partnership with the Welsh Music Guild, the Welsh Music Guild Anthology of Welsh Music which contains important works from Welsh composers past and present.

Oriana's publications are gaining in popularity and are widely broadcast, performed and recorded. We are now Wales' leading publisher of contemporary music with a rapidly expanding catalogue.

Our offices are located in Barry, in the lovely Vale of Glamorgan in South Wales.

Deriving its name from St.Baruc who is buried on Barry Island, Barry grew rapidly in the in the 1880 when it was developed as a coal port. The Barry Railway Company, formed by a group of colliery owners, built the Barry Dock and by 1913 it was the largest coal exporting port in the world. Although still a port, Barry is more important now as a manufacturing town and as a service centre for the Vale of Glamorgan. Barry Docks and the adjoining industrial area form the largest employment centre in the town. The docks can handle vessels up to 23,000 tons and the first-class tidal position close to the deep-water channel of the Severn Estuary, allows for regular scheduled sailings.

To the west of Barry is Porthkerry Park. This is a large area of open space, with woodlands, streams, a few modern attractions and access to a pebbly beach. In the park is the Barry Railway Company viaduct with 13 arched spans standing 110 ft high. The Barry Railway reopened in September 2006 and provides a scenic view and link to towns such as Llantwit Major.The viaduct at Porthkerry Park was once crossed many times daily by rail transporting coal down from the Welsh valleys

On the northern side of the park is the site of the old village at Cwmcidi (meaning Valley of the Black Dog), which came into existence before the middle of the 13th century. In 1622, Cwmcidi contained 5 houses bordering "Comkedye Street", interspersed with a number of tofts (dwelling sites) plus three scattered dwellings. By 1812, there remained only three cottages and a farmhouse. The cottages were finally swept away in the 1840's when the area was landscaped by the Romilly family to form Porthkerry Park. The name - although slightly anglicised - lives on in the area, in the form of a nearby public house, The Cwm Ciddy.

Woodham Brothers Scrapyard was also in Barry. During the 1960s, nearly 300 withdrawn British Railways steam locomotives were sent there.At the same time many thousands of short wheelbase wagons were being withdrawn and it was found that these were easier and quicker to cut-up and sell on as scrap metal. The result was that Woodham's concentrated on the wagons and the majority of steam locomotives were left untouched.

While there was still a significant number of steam locomotives in the yard, railway preservationists began buying the better examples and restoring them to working order. This often involved the use of parts (particularly tenders) from other locomotives. For most of the time that locomotives were being 'rescued' from Barry, it was the practice for preservation groups to pay a deposit for a particular locomotive which was then 'protected' until the group could pay for the locomotive in full and arrange transport.

During this time the yard was managed by Dai Woodham, but when he wished to retire, a concerted effort was made to clear the remaining hulks. One result of this was ten locomotives being taken by a local council and stored in 'scrap yard' condition known as the "Barry Ten".

Some of these locomotives are under restoration at different locations around the country. The remaining eight locomotives of the ten are still in Barry only a few hundred yards away from where they were removed more than ten years ago. They are under the care of the Barry Island Railway inside Barry Shed.

A total of 213 locomotives were 'rescued' from Woodham's yard. Over 100 have been restored to working order, although many of these have since been withdrawn and are out of use or awaiting further work.

 

 

 

Oriana Publications 2008

 

 

 

About Us | Site Map | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | ©2008 Oriana Publications Limited